Criticises ‘misuse’ of laws, denies his govt’s role in sacking of employees, assures further assistance to Kishtwar, Kathua cloudburst-hit victims

Rehan Qayoom Mir

Srinagar, Aug 22 :

Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Friday announced that the political struggle for the restoration of statehood to Jammu & Kashmir will now begin anew.

“We are going to launch a mission from now onwards. We didn’t expect to put in such efforts, as we believed the promises made to the people would be fulfilled. However, we have now decided to work proactively in this regard,” Omar, as reported by the news agency—Kashmir News Observer (KNO), said.

The CM also addressed the Centre’s proposed bills, alleging that most legal actions so far have been targeted at opposition leaders. “If the aim is to eradicate corruption, then the government must clarify what has been achieved since it assumed office in 2014,” he said.

“No law is inherently wrong, but it is often misused. I fear that this law too will be misused. I want to remind my friends in the BJP that they won’t remain in power forever. The laws they are enacting today could be used against them tomorrow. Tampering with laws is never in the nation’s interest,” Omar added.

On the pending legislation, he said the bills are currently with the Parliamentary Standing Committee. “Let’s see what they decide,” he said.

Asked about the terminations of two more government employees today, Abdullah said that the elected government has no role in it. “You need to ask the Raj Bhawan about that,” he said

Notably, two more government employees in Jammu & Kashmir were recently dismissed from service over alleged terror links.

Omar added that his government is committed to ensure that the promises made to the people are fulfilled.

About relief measures for areas hit by recent cloudbursts in Kishtwar and Kathua, the CM said immediate assistance had been provided. “If further aid is needed after assessment, we will ensure that it is delivered,” he added.

Nearly 70 people died and several others were wounded after cloudbursts triggered flash floods in Kishtwar and Kathua villages separately last week.

The rescue operations are still going on in Kishtwar where multi-pronged approach has been initiated to trace the missing persons—(KNO)

By SNS KASHMIR

Shaharbeen News Service Kashmir is a news service which covers, gathers, writes, and distributes news to newspapers, periodicals, radio and television broadcasters, government agencies, and other users. We at SNS Kashmir believe in fair and independent journalism to inform our masses or subscribers and readers about the happenings around the world. The prime focus of the news gathering and reporting is focused on Jammu and Kashmir state.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.