Says, Around 60 bodies recovered, missing count about 80; ₹36 lakh released by District Admin, directs Additional CS to disburse more from CM’s Relief Fund

Kishtwar, Aug 16 :

Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Saturday said that all possible relief is being provided to the victims of the Kishtwar tragedy, where around 60 bodies have been recovered so far and nearly 80 people remain missing.

While speaking to media persons after meeting the affected families of the Kishtwar tragedy, shared details of the situation on ground CM Omar as per news agency Kashmir News Corner — KNC, said that all possible relief work is being done.

“As of now, around 60 bodies have been recovered. The number of missing persons fluctuates between 70 to 80, and it may still vary. Some people are telling me the count of missing is about 600 to 1000, but I don’t think it will reach that number. Right now, the figure is 80, and that itself is very high,” Omar Abdullah said.

On relief measures, the Chief Minister said: “Relief has been provided to those whose shelters and homes were either fully destroyed or partially damaged. If I am not mistaken, ₹36 lakh has already been disbursed by the concerned DC, and I have instructed the Additional Chief Secretary in my office to release more funds from the Chief Minister’s Relief Fund so that they can be placed at disposal. Whatever is required will be done.”

When asked about shifting families from vulnerable areas, the CM clarified: “Yes, there is demand from people to be shifted, but we have not given any such directions as of now because there is no space available. Whether we need to shift them and under what circumstances, only experts can decide. Let experts assess the situation.”

He added, “If in a hurry we shift them to a place where again there is risk, that will be a wrong decision. It is better to wait for expert advice rather than act hastily.”

On August 14 afternoon, flash floods wreaked havoc in Paddar area of Kishtwar, prompting immediate rescue and relief operations. Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Home Minister Amit Shah, Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha, and Chief Minister Omar Abdullah had expressed deep grief over the loss of lives and assured all possible support to the affected families. (KNC)

By SNS KASHMIR

Shaharbeen News Service Kashmir is a news service which covers, gathers, writes, and distributes news to newspapers, periodicals, radio and television broadcasters, government agencies, and other users. We at SNS Kashmir believe in fair and independent journalism to inform our masses or subscribers and readers about the happenings around the world. The prime focus of the news gathering and reporting is focused on Jammu and Kashmir state.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.