Reyaz Rashid

Baramulla: In a tragic incident, an elderly couple including a doctor and his wife died of asphyxiation after they kept their LPG gas heater aflame in their room during night at Noorbagah locality in north Kashmir’s Baramulla district on Thursday.

Locals’ neighbourers said that they notice no movements in the house of Dr. Abdul Rashid Bhat till 12 noon, when they called the family members there was no response besides they didn’t pick up phone.

“ We later broke window and found the couple dead in the first floor of residential house as they had kept LPG gas heater on for night which caused suffocation in the room resulting their death,” another neighbor Bashir Ahmad said.

Soon after the couple was found dead, they informed the police, who reached the spot immediately.

Locals identified the due as Dr. Abdul Rashid Bhat (75) his wife as Nisara Begum (65). Meanwhile, a senior police official said that a police party had reached the spot and they were ascertaining the cause of their death.

“The bodies were buried after medico legal formalities. Further probe has been initiated regarding the same,” he said.  

Deaths due to suffocation have shocked the entire area and pall of gloom descended on Baramulla town following the tragic incident.

Doctors and health experts have been warning about using of gas heaters and other heater during the night hours.


Shaharbeen News Service Kashmir is a news service which covers, gathers, writes, and distributes news to newspapers, periodicals, radio and television broadcasters, government agencies, and other users. We at SNS Kashmir believe in fair and independent journalism to inform our masses or subscribers and readers about the happenings around the world. The prime focus of the news gathering and reporting is focused on Jammu and Kashmir state.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.