December 2, 2022

Shaharbeen News Service Kashmir (SNS KASHMIR)

Reporting Facts That Matter The Most (

Two days passed, what happened to the ‘time bound’ inquiry asks victim family of 6 month old baby who dies of alleged medical negligence at GMC Baramulla

3 min read

I have received the report which is ready. I have raised certain questions which need answers: said Principal GMC Dr. Ruby Reshi.

Reyaz Rashid

Baramulla: Two days have passed after Principal Government Medical College (GMC) Baramulla ordered an inquiry to probe the cause of death of a six month old baby who allegedly died due to negligence of doctors and paramedics in Associated Hospital GMC Baramulla triggering widespread protest and public outcry on social media.

Interestingly, following strong protest by family of the slain baby and his relatives in the hospital, Principal GMC Dr. Ruby Reshi ordered any inquiry and constituted a team of ‘experts’ to ascertain the cause of the death of the child in the hospital.

She issued an order bearing No: GMC/BLA/ 2022/ 11820-23 dated 26-09-2022. The order reads, “ The undersigned is in receipt of complaint from the parent namely Yasir Ahmad Beigh F/O of the deceased Mohd Moosa, complaining the death of his 6 months old son due to medical negligence. In this regard a team of following expert doctors is hereby constituted to make an impartial preliminary investigation of the case.”

The inquiry team includes Medical Superintendent Associated Hospital GMC Baramulla,  Dr. Nisar Ahmad Khan, Associate Professor, Medicine, Dr. Hakeem Viqar Associate Professor, Surgery, Dr. Fayaz Munshi, Associate Professor, Anesthesiology and  Dr. Suhail Ah Choh, Associate Professor, Pediatrics.

The order further reads, “The report shall reach the office of the undersigned by today (26-09-22) positively.”

However, family allege that two days have passed they have not been informed about the progress of the inquiry.

“We want the inquiry report which health authorities should make public. We want justice to be done so that no other unfortunate father like me loses his precious baby,” said wailing father of the slain baby Yasir Ahmad Beig.

Earlier, family had alleged that the on duty junior resident Dr. Altaf Iqbal neither bothered to call his senior resident despite their repeated pleas but they allegedly administered 1 gm Ceftriaxone injection that too without test dose. However, after few minutes their child Mosia Yasir died.

An official from the hospital administration wishing anonymity said that the inquiry committee submitted its report to Principal GMC but he can’t divulge further details.

 “I have received the report which is ready. But nobody has asked me to submit it. I will either submit it to my higher ups and would discuss it with Deputy Commissioner Baramulla,” said Principal GMC Dr. Ruby Reshi.

“I was not satisfied with the report so I raised some questions. I have asked HOD Pediatrics to answer them so that inquiry would be impartial  and fair,” she added.

When asked as of now no action has been taken against anyone, she said, “Yes no action has been taken so far. I cannot disengage anyone. I will recommend an action which is to be taken by the higher authorities.”   

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.